Fire Damage tips- Food and Medications
One of the more common concerns after a large house fire is should the food and medications be disposed of. As a structure burns any number of contaminants is added into the environment. Many of which are not only toxic to inhale, but to ingest as well. So anything the smoke has come in contact would be of concern.
When heavy smoke and soot is present it is common to dispose of all food. This would included air tight sealed packages as well as canned goods. This is due to the exposure of heat. Bathroom items such as all makeup, toothpaste and medications should be disposed of as well.
Contamination and heat exposure levels are difficult to determine and therefore make it very difficult to determine the salvageablity of these items. Your health is just not worth the risk.
Make sure to work with an industry professional like SERVPRO of Hyde Park/ Central Austin if you ever sustain fire or smoke damage.